Welcome to Say Wha?!

My blog is devoted to ME. Yes Moi! Things I approve/disapprove of in my shopping, traveling, dining, shooting pics, or just walking down the streets of my hood (NYC beybey!). Enjoy!

Monday, March 22, 2010

Movie: Precious


So, I finally mentally prepared myself to watch "Precious: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire" at around 2am on Sunday morning.  I read the novel a little over 5 years ago, and at the time, I didn't fully know what I was getting into.  For anyone who hasn't read it yet, be forewarned that it is the most difficult read that I have ever encountered.  The abuse is so detailed, that I had to put the book down, several times.  There are very few books that can elicit such an emotional response, that I actually cried. 

The movie, to my surprise, and relief, left the explicit details of the abuse to our imagination.  Mo'Nique was definitely the stand out star of the movie.  I can now say that I believe she truly deserved her Academy Award.  

Side Note: Mariah Carey, actually did a good job as the social worker, Ms. Weiss.  Who woulda thunk?

Personally, I would say that the movie is not on a level of a "Color Purple", wherein I'd watch it over and over. However, I definitely recommend it if you haven't seen it yet, but read the book first!

Precious Trailer
Push: The Novel

No comments:

Post a Comment